Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day One as a Domestic Engineer: The Criticals

Today marks the first day of the rest of my life. Sounds corny, doesn't it? But when you think about it, this day is pretty significant. It marks the start of my new job - Domestic Engineer. Oh, sure, I AM looking for a "real" job, but I'm also planning on enjoying this stint as a SAHW, for however long it lasts. I figured "Domestic Engineer" was a good title - in my "previous life" I was working toward a Master's of Engineering (MEng as opposed to MS), so why not? Too bad Domestic Engineers don't get a paycheck.

So what am I up to today? Well, for starters, I stole an idea from a friend and modified it for us newbie DE's. My friend, Rollie, posted on her Facebook page that she was implementing a 3 chores per day program for her son. I figured, if it will work for a kid, it can work for me. I call my modified program The Criticals. The Criticals are the 3 to 5 things that NEED to get done each day, before any "play time" and before any other chores. I hope this will keep me on track, and prevent me from being a lazy bon-bon eating couch potato.

Anyway, today's Criticals are: Updated at 3:20 this afternoon.
  1. Pay the rent. Done.
  2. Finish the laundry. (There's a load entering the first spin cycle as I type.) All done, except for Shawn's work clothes, which will go in the washer as soon as he gets home.
  3. Perform some financial finagle-ing. Done.
  4. Call for an oil delivery. Done.
  5. Call to cancel Shawn's dentist appointment. Done.

Believe me when I say that there are many (MANY) other things that need to be done around here, but these are the highest priority. Check back in later or tomorrow (or next week...) to see how this all worked out.

Yeah!! I got all my Criticals done - as an added bonus, they were done before Shawn got home from work. We'll see what he thinks of this program. I do think that I should consider making it a "requirement" that 1 or 2 of the items must be something to physically improve the state of our home (ahem - CLEAN SOMETHING), because it doesn't actually *appear* like I've done anything.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I like it! I like it!