Tuesday, March 17, 2009

MyPoints

So, in my previous post, I referenced something called MyPoints. Here's a further explanation.

The Simple Version: You earn points by doing things you already do, and can then redeem those points for gift cards to dozens of merchants.


The Details: How to Earn Points ...


You can earn ponts in several different ways. The following are the things that I've done.
  • Reading emails - You get a few (like, anywhere from 2 to 5 on average) emails per day. All you have to do is scroll to the bottom of the message, click on a link to confirm that you read the message, and your account will be credited with the points, usually 5 per email. If you choose to take advantage of the offer in the email, you can earn more points, but you don't need to. In fact, I have NEVER participated in one of the email offers.

  • Surveys - Occasionally, you will get survey emails fom MyPoints, where you can earn more points. They are typically 65 points per survey. You aren't guaranteed to get the full point value from each survey, but you will get at least 5.

  • Searching the web - You have the option to either use the MyPoints website as a search engine, or add their toolbar to your browser. Every search helps you earn points.

  • Shopping - If you link through to your desired shopping destination from the MyPoints website, a certain percentage of your purchase is credited as points to your account.

  • Quick surveys - There are shorter surveys right on the MyPoints website that can tyically earn you 5 ponts, more if you contine on to participate in whatever is being offered. Again, I've not ever done the offer, just the survey.

The Deails: How to Redeem Points ...

After you've earned some points, you can then begin to redeem them for gift cards. Examples of merchants include:

  • CVS
  • Amazon
  • Macy's
  • JC Penney
  • Applebee's
  • Barnes and Noble
  • you get the idea - they are legit, nationwide companies

I've already gotten 2 gift cards for $10 each for CVS, and I'm waiting on another.

The Details: Don't Be Scared ...

I know, I know - there are lots of websites out there that are "scam and spam". This company isn't one of those sites, though. Yes, you will get emails, but they will only be from MyPoints, and they will be easily identified as such. However, if you chose to participate in any extra offers, I would recommend that you get a secondary email address through something like Gmail or Hotmail. I can't vouch for the secondary offers, and I can guarantee that some of them might like to send spam. I've always stuck to the MyPoints emails, though, and been fine. I've also not gotten any viruses through this program, and have been doing it for more than 6 months, so I would say it's safe in that regard as well.

If you have any questions, you can always feel free to ask me. I've been happy with the program and would love to give you any advice I can. Besides - it's enabled my CVS-ing, so it's all good :)

The Details: How to Sign Up ...

Feel free to go to the MyPoints website and check it out (www.mypoints.com) . If you are interested in signing up, you can do it right then and there. However, it would make me a very happy camper if you could shoot me an email before you sign up. If you give me your email addy, I can send you a "refer a friend" linky-doo that will let me earn some points. It's a win-win.

No comments: