Thursday, November 20, 2008

I'm still alive - Life and Facebook have me all kinds of DiStrAcTEd !

No, I haven't run away or gotten kidnapped. I'm still here.

But where have I been?

~*~ LIFE ~*~

Borrowed and condensed, from my friend (and coworker) Melanie's blog, cause she said it pretty darn well ...

Oh my word, it seems like ages since I posted anything. Life has been hectic lately. Mostly at work because the company I work for was bought by another company. We were told about the sale back in July but now that the transaction will be final in the first qtr of next year reality is setting in. Anxiety levels are high. ... I just feel exhausted lately and I really don't feel like doing anything when I get home ... Most people will retain their jobs, some will be transferred to other locations and others will lose their jobs. ... I should know by February. I am preparing for the worst case scenario. I have no delusions of grandeur. I know the Lord will provide, not necessarily a job but a way. I heard this saying a few months ago, "God does not promise smooth sailing, but He does promise a smooth landing".

So, yeah, I'd like one serving of stress, with a heaping side of anxiety. We had 3 meetings in a row last Thursday to pass along more info about the merger. Can't really say much of what went on in them, but many of us walked away with more questions than answers. We should be getting little bits of info over the next several weeks, with the finalization happening in January and lots more info after that. Might want to throw some prayers / good thoughts / positive vibes our way.

~*~ FACEBOOK ~*~

I've also discovered something new (to me) that has sucked me in the past several days. Facebook. Yes, me, I know.... the one with no interest in MySpace or class reunions.

I've connected with several current friends and a couple of coworkers, but I've also gotten in touch with a few people from college. It's pretty neat - you can ask to be someone's Friend, or they can ask to be yours. My connections have gone both ways in that regard, but what is nice is that you can always hit "ignore" if you aren't interested. There seems to be a good amount of privacy control involved with the site, so it's nice to not have totally random peeps looking at your profile if you don't want them to.

But, you know me - I overanalyze EVERYTHING. So, I'm sitting here wondering... There are some people (high school and college) that it might be interesting to reconnect with. Some are lost connections that I have thought about resuming. Some I'm just interested in the quick and dirty recap of life since we lost touch, without any pressure to maintain the connection. I'm wondering if it's worth it (emotionally and mentally) to venture down any of these paths. I search the lists of classmates and ask myself these questions ... and wonder if someone on the other side is asking the same thing about me.

For now, I've been pretty conservative. I've asked a few peeps if I can be their Friend because they were people I am genuinely interested in reconnecting with, and I knew it was a "safe bet". But I've also *not* asked others, and have just kind of let Friend requests happen as they happen.

It's not really meant to be a slight on anyone, this method that I've chosen. It's just that I've always been a less self-confident person - I don't really want to put myself out there just to feel rejection or hurt.

I'm actually considering a new approach. My blog is listed on my profile, and I know that I've gotten at least 1 hit on it that for sure came from a Facebook Friend. So, I'm considering opening my profile so more people can read it... thinking that either seeing my profile or reading my blog might bring about interesting "hits" or Friend requests. I dunno... I'm not trying to go fishing for Friends - I'm just curious to see what might come of it, especially if someone were to find this particular post.

So, I've decided to sit on this for a while. Mull it over. Solicit advice. Those few of you who are regular readers - give some input. Point out the flaws in my logic (I know there are probably many). Tell me where I'm going astray. Stop me from making a fool out of myself, or making myself look like a beyotch. Talk to me, peeps!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

ok - you opened the can of worms. College peeps - I have no advice, not sure how all that went down for you. As far as time before that.....hmmmm......how do I candy coat this......it sucked!!! But then again, I have no desire to look back or reconnect. For me, too much time has gone by and I would rather look ahead than look back. (Is that why I work there???) You did have some motivation for a reunion..I always had NONE! So I do recognize where we are opposites in the venture. However, I can offer you this...do not fear rejection on-line. If it is someone you had a GENUINE connection with, then in theory, they will want to reconnect, otherwise if you want to try anyway, who cares. Nothing lost, nothing gained. FEAR NOT my friend, Facebook will not be your demise! (nor something worth losing sleep over!) silly girl!
:-)

Marlene said...

I heart facebook. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Laurel. I just found this on tastespotting. The recipe submitter needed room in her freezer for her holiday baking, so she used up some of the applesauce she put up in the fall. I'm going to try it. I'll let you know how it is.


Applesauce Pie

2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup applesauce
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 9 inch pie shell

Mix all ingredients and pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes


As far as Facebook, found out that my father is a pretty big subject of discussion for his *ahem* indiscretions with young women. If I was thinking of joining in before hearing that, that settled things. I'm staying away.