Thursday, September 11, 2008

We Remember

Today is September 11, 2008. Seven years ago, the face of America and its people were changed forever. Changed in a way that cannot ever be undone.

Seven years ago today, our nation was attacked. But more than that, our nation was brought to its knees and truly shaken to the core. I hate to use euphamisms like that, but really what other words are there?

This morning, I wanted to make a very short posting here and simply put up a picture of the American flag, but as I looked through the pictures that I found while searching Google, I realized that there were other pictures that spoke to me. I'd like to share those with you now.


As the daughter, neice, cousin and granddaughter of volunteer firemen, this image is stirring. It is also eerily reminiscent of the Iwo Jima Memorial in Washington DC. In the face of horrific tragedy and unthinkable loss, these men took time to raise our flag. It was as if to say, "You may have hurt us, but we stand tall and proud." For as much as we honor those who died in the planes, at the World Trade Center and at the Pentagon, let us not forget those who died in service while trying to save lives. Let us not forget the firefighters, EMT's and police officers.



This photo shows a flag being unfurled over the side of a wall at the Pentagon. I believe that the attack at the Pentagon will always hold an especially sacred spot in my husband's heart, as well as my own, because of the loss of this man.



The photo above is of Lt. Jonas Martin Panik. He graduated from Bellefonte High Schoool, in Bellefonte PA, in 1993, just like my husband. While Shawn did say that they were never close friends in high school, it was very clear that this personal connection to the events of September 11 made it all the harder for him to bear. Lt. Panik worked in the Naval Intelligence Office, and as the plane crashed into the Pentagon, he was part of a group trying to gain information about that morning's attacks on the World Trade Center. This article provides a glimpse into the events of that day, as it pertained to Lt. Panik and others in his group. Jonas left behind his wife, their dogs, his parents, and his sister.

I believe that the events of seven years ago will be forever engrained in my heart and soul. I believe that the attack on America will be like the assasination of John F. Kennedy for my generation - we will always remember where we were and what we were doing when we learned of the planes crashing into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the field in rural Pennsylvania.

In tribute to that, I ask that you use the comment section of this post to share with others where you were or what you were doing when you first heard about the attacks on our country.

I leave you with this. God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood

3 comments:

Marlene said...

Excellent blog entry!

How very sad about that young man, as well. Hits that much closer to home when you're somehow connected to someone who lost his/her life that day.

lime said...

thanks for the visit and kind words at my place. we know people who were in the towers that day. we will not forget.

Jen said...

I was student teaching in East Stroudsburg District. No TVs in the classroom, so we were watching on a small battery operated portable B&W TV. Any student that had a parent that worked in NY had to be transported to another building in the district at dismissal to wait to be picked up. Sadly, there were kids that never got picked up.

Just saying the date 9-11, gives me the chills. It will forever be a day remembered....