Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Uh oh ... more politics!

I really have to say that I usually don't spout off randomly about my political beliefs. That's my disclaimer for the day, since this is Political Post #2 for my blog.

So why are you being subjected to Political Post #2? (Or as Shawn put it, "Geeze, you're even more into this whole politics thing than I am!)
  • Because this is the first time I've felt like I've had a horse in the political race. Any race - presidential or otherwise. I feel *represented* - guess what? That was a premise our government was based upon. A premise that, unfortunately, has fallen by the wayside - sacrificed to lobbyists and political action committees and the almighty dollar.
  • Because the more I watch the Democrats absolutely *struggle* to dig up dirt about Palin, the more turned off I get at their desperate actions and rampant double standards. Don't know what I'm referring to? I can list several, but I won't - that could be a blog post in and of itself.
  • The aforementioned desperate actions and rampant double standards? Yeah, the fact that the media is *ripe* with them also has my knickers in a wad. If the media leaned any more to the left, it would FALL OVER.
  • Because for once, for one tiny moment of the past 8 years, I am not ashamed to admit that I am a Republican. Not screaming it from the rooftops, but certainly not cowering away from political discussions.
  • Because for once, when I hear a politician use the buzzword "change", I think she really means it. I have confidence that McCain and Palin can (and will!) kick ass and take names in Washington. Hell, if she listed the previous governor's plane on eBay - she's got the balls to take on Washington!
  • Because I am bitter. More specifically, I am a bitter Pennsylvanian - one of those people Barack Obama is so completely out of touch with.
  • Because I am PROUD to cling to my religion, my God and my guns! And guess what - those were rights guaranteed to us by our forefathers, as well. Hmm, seems like the Democrats are all too easily forgetting what this country was forged on. You know what they say - if you forget the past, you are doomed to repeat it. Frankly, this country could do with a little more of these founding values.

That's why I shared my excitement about Sarah Palin's choice to be McCain's running mate.

That's why I've added a "McCain - Palin" icon to the left.

That's why you'll be hearing more of these things from me in the days and weeks to come. No, this blog isn't going to turn into a political blog. It's going to continue being a place for me to write about what's on my mind - it just so happens that politics are on my mind right now.

(PS - You'll also be hearing more of this because I work with a bunch of Democrats, except for Melanie, and because Shawn is going to be sick and tired of hearing me rant!) :)

6 comments:

MelB. said...

hahaha...WOW! You go girl! Yep! I am a republican. It's funny, I hate to admit this, but this is the first time I am paying close attention to the election. I think McCain & Palin are a great team. Like you said in an earlier post, the VP doesn't have much power but imagine the possibilities. To me change and Palin are synonymous.

Marlene said...

Woohoo!!! You GO girl! As someone who has only lived in the U.S. for 3.5 years...and hails from a generally "liberal-minded country", I have always been a "rightie"....and you know, give people a "hand up" not a "hand out"!

Totally agree with everything you posted...and I am sitting on my crossed fingers hoping I'll be able to vote this election. I have my citizenship test/interview coming up the end of this month. As long as they schedule the oath ceremony within a week of that...it's a slim chance, but I'll take it......then I'm registering to vote!

Laurel said...

---> Marlene,

Yes, I was wondering if you would be able to vote this time around. Good luck with your test, and fingers crossed that you can get registered in time!!

Rollie said...

From your Left side friend.

Still love ya, just know we don't see eye to eye on this Lady, but I have a few problems with someone that believes that you can "pray the gay" out of someone.

Politics are a good thing to be involved in, and I don't think either side will ever have the "perfect" team , each of us has to weigh all options and decide what is best for us and our family.
Again I still Love ya, and I know we agree to disagree on this subject.
Glad you have this place, I love having my blog also, and I am sure there will be some political post in the near future on mine also. Only a few more months and this will all be part of the past and we will all deal with whoever is in power and our lifes will go. Should be fun that we are all scrapbooking together the weekend after the election!!! LOL

Laurel said...

---> Rollie,

Love ya too! And no, I don't necessarily agree 100% with everything the Republican party says/does/stands for. Abortion, for instance - my stance on that is that women should have a CHOICE, and that the government needs to step away from such a personal decision.

All in all, though, my thoughts on life in this crazy world of ours are conservative, and on the whole, I identify much more closely with the Republican party. Of course, I'd stand behind whoever was truly backing the Constitution and the things this country were based on - just so happens that this is the Republicans.

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are much, much more than the Freedom of Speech.

MelB. said...

hahahaha.....maybe I better make plans to be there after all..wink, wink...should be interesting.

Seriously, though, to my right and left friends and family..I am a Republican but foremost I am a Christian. I love ALL of you whether I agree with you or not. You are still near and dear to my heart. I knew this was going to come up sooner or later but know this...I only serve one and that's the Lord.