Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Staying Up Late Tonight

I'm staying up late tonight. Bedtime is usually 10, but I'm thinking of staying up til 11 or so.

Why?

To watch this classy lady ROCK the RNC.

I've spent the past few months feeling very "blah" about this whole election. I started out on one side, began to lose interest there, and recently haven't really felt compelled to vote for either candidate. But when McCain announced that his running mate would be Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska, I suddenly knew where my vote lay.
Now, I realize that the VP has very little power unless the unthinkable would happen. And I also would never wish bad things on anyone. But this wonderful woman - this REAL person - has what it takes to make a difference in the White House.
Do I agree with her on every position? Not necessarily. But that's ok with me.
I truly think that she can lead this country in the direction in needs to go. I believe that she has what it takes (the guts, the determination, the courage) to stand up to the established "good ol' boy" mentality that has gotten our country where it is today. I believe that she is the most REAL candidate or running mate that I have ever seen. I love that she is YOUNG. I love that she has a family - a large family, at that. I love that she is a living example of a successful career woman AND a successful mother.
And so, because I support her and because I am curious to hear more of what she has to say, I will be staying up to hear her speech at the Republican National Convention. It's 10:15 now, and Rudy Giuliani is speaking. Gov. Palin is supposed to take the stage at 10:35, but we'll see if it happens on schedule - there has already been some sort of schedule mix-up or rearrangement that involved the Governor of Hawaii and the musical performance for the evening.
(Side note: The crowd just began chanting "Drill baby, drill!" I love it! Yes, please, DRILL. I know it's only a short term fix, but in my ever so humble opinion, the less money we send overseas to the Middle East - the BETTER! Drill, and buy us some time to find a more permanent energy solution.)
I'm signing off now... gotta get situated and ready for Palin's speech. If you see me tomorrow and I'm a bit groggy, now you know why :) Give me some coffee, and come find me after I've shaken the cobwebs from my brain.

3 comments:

MelB. said...

I am right with you on this Laurel! Your post is pretty much my thoughts. I will have to read the highlights today because I just couldn't stay awake.

BTW: Hope you didn't get WAWA coffee. I know you can't seem to keep it in the cup or your mouth!! LOL!!

Marlene said...

YEAH!!!!!! Just "met" (not in the real sense of the word, of course) Gov. Sarah Palin, and I'm already smitten.

She IS one classy lady.

She CAN take on the big boys.

This is one refreshing candidate!

Woot! Woot!

Jen said...

I need to do more political research. I'm always a fan of the female, but I need to review both sides a little better before sealing my vote. Good thing I have until Novemeber!