Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Little Suzy Homemaker

Every once in a while, the mood strikes me and I become Little Suzy Homemaker for a day or two. Last night was one of those times. I volunteered to make a cake for work today (we're celebrating someone's new baby), and that was all the push I needed.

My original plan was to make a rhubarb coffee cake for work, then chop up the extra rhubarb and freeze it. However, I also had been tinkering with the idea of making a banana cake, since I knew that I had bananas in the freezer. Well, when I pulled the rhubarb out of the fridge and found it to be rather limp, the decision was made... sort of. Before I got started on the banana cake, I cut the ends off the rhubarb and stuck it in some cold water to try to perk it up.
It worked. The rhubarb lost its limp. Which meant I *had* to do something with it. I knew that if I put it back in the fridge, it would just wilt again and possibly go to waste. So, after I got the banana cake into the oven, I cleaned up and started in on the rhubarb cake. Yep, I made TWO cakes last night. And chopped up all the extra rhubarb to freeze it.
No, I don't have pictures. Yes, I know - bad blogger for not having pictures! But, I do have recipes.
--------------------------------------------------------
Banana Cake, from my Betty Crocker cookbook
2 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 C mashed bananas (~3 medium)
1 1/4 C sugar
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C buttermilk or sour milk
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
2/3C chopped nuts
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan (or two round pans, if you want a layer cake). Beat all ingredients except the nuts in a large bowl with an electric mixer - low speed for 30 seconds, high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in the nuts, and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 9x13 for 45-50 minutes, round pans 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool and frost with your icing of choice (I used chocolate whipped frosting from the grocery store, and then tossed some more nuts on top of the icing).
--------------------------------------------------------
Rhubarb Coffee Cake, from my mother
2 C flour
1 1/2 C sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 C oil
2 eggs
1/3 C milk
2 C rhubarb, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Place eggs, oil and milk in a bowl and beat just until combined. Add dry ingredients and mix well - batter will be thick. Fold in the rhubarb. Spread batter evenly into a greased 9x13 pan. Spoon topping over the batter (see below). Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F. Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean and coconut topping is golden brown.
Topping:
2/3 C flour
1/2 C brown sugar
4 tbsp butter, softened
3/4 C coconut
1/4 C chopped nuts

2 comments:

MelB. said...

hey little suzy homemaker..thanks for the recipe's!

Alexis said...

Want to make this banana cake- love all things banana!!