Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Trying Again ... Again

Those of you who know me know that my weight is an issue that has always plagued me. It isn't something that I talk about often, but it's always there in the background. I have tried several times to lose the excess weight, and every time I've said "this will be the try that works," only to see and feel the pounds come back. This time around, I'm working with a dietitian / nutritionist who created a plan for me follow. I've been seeing her since about September. The plan limits calories (1400 per day) and strives to balance carbs, protein, etc throughout the day in order to keep my blood sugar in balance (that's another story for another day). It isn't an impossible plan to follow, in fact in a lot of ways it couldn't be easier - the serving size of the different groups of foods are all listed so I know exactly how much of what type of food I should be eating for each meal and snack. The problem is that I like food, and the foods that I like aren't the healthiest. Combine that with a tendency to eat too much of the foods I like and a serious dislike of most vegetables, and it's a recipe for disaster.

The path hasn't always been smooth for these past 6 months or so (oh my gosh - has it really been that long?!?). I hit a rough patch during the holidays, and pretty much called it a wash from Thanksgiving until New Years. I tried to get back on track in January, but it didn't work. In fact, I've been "off track" far more often than I've been "on track" since Thanksgiving. Right now I'm still several pounds away from the low point that I was at before the holidays, which is a bit of a downer.

So, here I am. Trying again ... again. When I met with the dietitian almost two weeks ago, we talked about the fact that I pretty much need to start over. Wipe the slate clean and clear out the cabinets. Refocus. Measure everything and write down every bite I eat. Today is Day 2 of the refocusing. I managed to get through yesterday without giving in to various temptations, like the bakery case at Wawa and the new lime-black pepper potato chips in our snack machine here at work. I was even strong last night when I went to the grocery store to stock up on things that are good for me. I'm usually a sucker for all the bad stuff in the grocery store, but I did find a low cal - low fat dip (Marzetti's Light Ranch in 100 cal cups) that just might make eating veggies with my lunch bearable. I also found these yummy crackers by Kashi - 15 of them is 1 carb, which makes them perfect as part of my lunch or an afternoon snack.

(The crackers are Kashi TLC Crackers in the fire-roasted vegetable flavor, and if I could figure out how to post a picture I would.)

I am determined to make it through again today, and make today another day where I refused to give in to the food. It's almost 3:00 and so far, so good. I haven't given in, and I have my food choices planned out for the rest of the day, which should help to keep me on track.

Wish me luck as I try again ... again. And if you have any healthy recipes for vegetables, please pass them on - they are one of my biggest problem areas. Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So now you're blogging?!?! Good for you! You've been found!!

I know this is one of your most difficult battles you fight everyday. I'm proud of you for trying. Although we don't discuss it much, you know I'm always here for talking if you need! Plus, I remember you telling me stories of how GOOD you felt when you were really trying and shedding the pounds! Imagine how GREAT you would feel long term if you were able to stay strong. The end result will be more enjoyable than the baked items at WAWA!!

Love you!
J.

Anonymous said...

Are you a hummus girl, Miss Laurel?

I love the stuff, but if you have a texture thing, it's not something you'll enjoy.

One of my favorite meals is a flat-out lite wrap with a schmear of hummus and a biggie scoop of fresh salsa from the deli case. If you like it, you can add one of those laughing cow lite wedges. It has real low calories, hardly any carbs, and lots of fiber to keep you full for the afternoon.

Or you could just dip carrot stix in the hummus. Try it, it's good schtuff.