Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Just because you can ...

Does this happen to anyone else?

You go to the grocery store or Target or wherever, and you pick the lane with the cashier who operates under the misguided philosophy that more is better. The more stuff you can pack into one bag the better, or so they think.

Allow me to let you in on a little secret ... IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY.

I went to Target on Sunday. I needed to pick up a prescription and some toiletries for us. So, all told, I approached the cash register with 2 biggie ginormous bottles of Pantene, 1 body wash for Shawn, 1 shampoo for Shawn, 3 body washes for me (sale on SoftSoap if you're interested), 2 or 3 packs of toothbrushes, a can of soup, a box of crackers and a box of Kashi bars. Plus the Rx.

Unfortunately, I had the misfortune of picking the line being cashiered by a newbie. I thought I might be safe, as far as the bagging goes, because she was a middle-aged woman - someone who has probably done her far share of shopping, as opposed to some teen-aged boy who is clueless about proper shopping etiquette. But I was wrong. She was one of *those people*. Those people who think that just because you can fit all of the items in 1 single bag, that it must be OK.

And so, I walked out of Target carrying my filled-to-the-brim-and-then-some bag. No, wait, let's give the more accurate depiction. As I walked away from the register, I saw tiny tears in the bag already starting due to the cracker box and Kashi box. I knew that I had parked waayyyy farrrr outttt in the lot, because I was there at one of the worst possible times to shop. And so, I walked out of Target hugging the bag to my chest, with one hand supporting the bottom, hoping and praying that I would make it to the car in the far corner of the lot without losing anything.

Yes, yes, I know I could have said something to her, or left the bag in the cart and wheeled the cart out to my car. But that's not the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that just because it *can* all fit in one bag, doesn't mean it *should* all fit in one bag. It happens time and time again to me - it happened yesterday at Landis, with the aforementioned teenage boy. The worst is when it happens at the grocery store and you have one crazy heavy bag full of milk and OJ and a couple 2 L bottles of soda, along with one crazy light bag that's just holding the Sunday paper.

Seriously - where has common sense gone? Have these people not had the absolute *joy* of cleaning up broken bottles of condiments, thanks to someone's bad bagging? 'Cause if not, I'd be glad to arrange for that. I'm all for saving a plastic bag, and I do recycle them and use the reusable bags when possible. But seriously - if that overstuffed bag breaks, and the contents of that bag then break and spill, then you will have missed out on the chance to recycle the bag AND the containers inside it. Plus, then you're out a few bucks because you have to RE-BUY the stuff that broke. So all I'm asking for is some COMMON SENSE. And if that means using 2 plastic bags - so be it. Just because you can..., doesn't mean you should.

(Yes, I really am out of that funk - last week, that would have had me pissed off for hours, but this week I'm just annoyed and find it frustratingly funny.)

4 comments:

Rollie said...

Glad you are out of your funk!!

I just have to laugh at your experience, I always pick the cashier that will have to get a price check.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Laurel, I feel ya.

I'm the anal-retentive dork who has her shopping list written out by aisle.

I'm also the girl who loads the conveyer belt at checkout a certain way so as to make the unpacking easier when I get home. Just a little common sense efficiency: all the cold stuff goes together, all the frozen goes together, and all the cans that will end up in the pantry go together, finishing up with the squishables.

So what happens? the bagger, henceforth known as "Mathilda the Hun," jams everything into three bags with my bread crammed in with a gallon of milk and the outrageously-priced tomatoes UNDER a gatorade. (For real. Why put the milk in a bag, it already has a handle. And the fact that I'm even buying styrofoam-tasting tomatoes at this time of year SCREAMS that I'm a desperate woman. It's not good to mess. I'm clearly irrational.)

And while I'm happy that you're out of your funk...it's always fun to commiserate.

Jen said...

I agree, and I do recycle. However, there is a happy medium with the bagging dilema. Let's not overfill, but let's not underfill! Especially when I take the time to put all the freezer items together on the belt, or the produce, or the cleaning supplies. Yes, I might need multiple bags, but the pizza rolls don't mind sharing with the sorbet!!

Laurel said...

Jen - The pzza rolls don't mind sharing with the sorbet, but the cereal and bread definately minds sharing with the citronella candles and the laundry detergent. YUCK!

(yes, it's happened to me)