Sunday, March 30, 2008

Update to Friday's Post

With news like this, sometimes there is no better way to say it than to come right out and say it.

E's father passed away peacefully Friday afternoon at 4:00. A memorial service is being planned for later this spring, after the birth of E's baby.

I spent some time with E on Saturday, and she seemed to be holding up as best as you can at a time like this. She was glad that he passed quietly and quickly, and felt a sense of relief in knowing that he would no longer be in pain. I have to admit that even after having done this twice myself, it was difficult to find the right words to say but that was OK. We talked about other things (the baby, the work we are doing at my parents' house, etc), and even though death is not a pleasant circumstance to bring people together, it was nice to have an opportunity to visit with E and her husband. The baby is due in less than 10 days, and I think the excitement of their first child will help to dull the pain of their loss. They know that they are having a boy, and have decided that his middle name will be the name of E's father - a very touching tribute.

Well, it's time to bring this post to a close. I'm off to pay some bills (blech!) and then take a shower. Hopefully my next post will be on a happier note, or at least bring you a laugh.

No comments: